I'm sure the first words out of the Dr.'s mouth when I was born weren't "It's a swimmer!", nevertheless that was life's ultimate plan for the years ahead. All growing up we spent summers in our grandma's pool and for a lot of us Gram would be our first coach. With my brother and sister along with cousins we would learn basic technique and the water became our second home. 'Reunions' were weekly if not daily. Swimming was my first love but sometimes life forces us to give up the things we love. At the age of 3 I was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure, more specifically Prune Belly; A kidney disease effecting 1 in 40,000. Attacking the immune system, reducing energy, and holding kidney function at 12-14% getting out of bed in the morning is nothing short of a miracle and everyday truely a blessing. When I was a Jr. in high school my swimming times began to slip and at first I didn't pay it much attention but I soon realized I was headed down a difficult road, a road that only went in one direction. Physically I didn't feel any different and for the next several weeks I wrestled with myself as I practiced. "Should I stay? Is it worth it anymore? What about the team?" Failure was knocking at my door and threatening what I loved. Without my hand on the knob the door opened and passion died. There was a moment standing waist deep in the water inbetween sets, everything slowed down and reality settled in my heart and sank to the bottom of the pool. Failure was not a choice but something I had to accept...or so I thought. For years after quiting the team I was bitter and angry, I didn't want to swim or even hear about swimming. I dont think my family understood where I was and quite frankly neither did I. Part of me died when I left and for those who have had a broken heart for whatever reason understand what I mean. Somewhere along the way my brother started to dabble in triathlons and other athletic events, soon my sister joined and before I knew it I had been sucked in as well. Emersed in a new journey, high school was in the past and another chapter in life was starting. Bitterness melted away and anger faded. "If you love something, set it free..." I don't recall who originally said this but for me this came true. I had a renewed love and a refined understanding and acceptance of the past. I moved on and gained a burning desire to rise above circumstance. Before I layed down and didn't fight, life will always find ways to knock us down but we only lose when we give up or give in. I'll push through the pain, I'll kick a little longer, I'll reach a little farther...I'll swim towards redemption

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Polar Plunge                                                                  2-19-2011




Severe shaking, stiff muscles, cyanosis, slowed heart rate, decreased mobility, amnesia, weakness, drowsiness, confusion, hallucinations…Anyone with any sanity would not subject their bodies to this torment. My brother however is one that loves pushing himself to new boundaries usually with me not far behind eager to take the next step. Josh had signed up to participate in a Polar Plunge at Deercreek Reservoir, one of four sites that would benefit the Utah Special Olympics. Being out of a job I played the little brother card telling him how freezing he would be thinking I was safe unable to pay to sign up. The Sunday before the Plunge was to take place the conversation came up again while having our weekly family get together for dessert, and again being the supportive type I am for my brother I began the harassing again. A few minutes later I noticed Josh was on his phone and didn’t think much of it. Then he raised his head holding the screen towards me saying “Ok, you’re signed up!”

It’s true I was happy he volunteered my participation. Neither of us had been in water that cold before and thinking about one of my hero’s Lynne Cox swimming in frigid waters to Antarctica over a mile in 32 degrees quite frankly the idea was enticing.

We got up Saturday and headed up to Deercreek around 8 am. The sky was covered with clouds and soon the snow began falling. After arriving at Deercreek Island Resort we walked through the parking lot toward the boat ramp where the Plunge would take place. Looking at the Utah shaped hole in the reservoir I was surprised to see how thick the ice was that had been cut out with a chainsaw earlier that morning…Yes I know its winter but still, I didn’t think it would be a foot thick.

Days leading up to the event I thought about the previously mentioned symptoms of hypothermia and instantly threw them out knowing my bodies core wouldn’t drop the almost 4 degrees necessary to usher in the life threatening condition just jumping in and immediately getting out. There were however a couple things that I was concerned about; 1. Hyperventilation, would I be able to control my breathing just jumping in and not easing my way into the freezing water? And 2. The titanium plates that line the front of my skull, is just a few seconds submerged in cold enough water enough to cool down the metal under the skin bringing painful headaches? I wasn’t sure.

Soon it was time to get started; two divers suited up and entered the water as a safety to help anyone that may require. They told us the water was just a couple of feet deep where we were going to be entering and with this I was able to relax about hyperventilating, even if the shock was great enough to cause irregular breathing I was confident knowing I could touch the bottom and walk out. It was going to be an ‘every man for himself’ to enter the water, cannonball after cannonball and pig after chicken splashed into the water trying to spray the spectators standing close by. We made our way over and stripped down, Josh in his famous poke a dot speedo and I in my awesome jammers.

Continuing the tradition of previous participants Josh ran and cannonballed into the frigid waters. After he was clear I made my way to the mat and dully jumped in. My head broke the surface and to my amazement the 36 degree water although a shock to the body it wasn’t as cold as I thought it would be and hadn’t caused any shortness of breath, not using the ladder I put my two palms on the edge of the ice and hoisted myself out of the water as I had done many times lifting myself out of the pool. Running, or at least quickly walking up to my family I grabbed my towel and wrapped it around me. Standing there in my towel and suit I was right about one concern, in the literal seconds I was in the water it had cooled down the metal in my head bringing a painful headache concentrated in my forehead. Luckily this only lasted maybe a half minute. While standing on the ramp talking to family and watching the others jump in I noticed my body wasn’t shaking as it does in order to create heat to warm itself up. I was warm. In fact in my towel I was warmer than I had been all dressed up in my sweater and beanie before getting in. I don’t say this to sound cocky but rather to give credit to the amazing ability that our bodies have. Had just that short amount of time instantly triggered the body into its survival mode restricting blood circulation to less mortal parts? I can only speculate having no medical training but I believe that that is what had happened. The only thing that was cold was my feet.

Enthusiastically Josh soon said “I’m going again!” So following suit I threw my towel off and headed after him. The announcer was excited to see that the two of us were coming back for more. My second jump was more energetic running up and doing a cannonball. Getting out one spectator asked me “Was it warmer the second time?” I chuckled, “Ya it is!” This time standing off to the side my feet were not only cold but now were very painful. We were in merely a few seconds but even that little taste walking on numb feet felt like walking on raw exposed nerves.

Josh and I putting in the thermometer, making sure not to feel the water and pysch ourselves out
Josh and I drying off after the first jump...
                                
                  
                                          My cannonball on the second jump
No Josh is not naked
To view a video check out Josh's site:

No comments:

Post a Comment